Friday, October 30, 2009

CATCHING and LOOSING Rabbits

This woman's look inspired the character Beth Rider...I can't remember who she is. Sorry. She is a Miss America finalist I think. Maybe from North Carolina?? Anyway, she is lovely...
First, go to my novel web site if you haven't, you naughty reader... http://www.rabbitnovel.com/
Now...let us continue...
I am having too much fun. It has to be wrong. Every since I began writing the Loose Rabbits (chapters that exist outside the novel) I have been enjoying too much pleasure. You have to admit...it's a great idea. An author is pressured by industry standards, especially in this tough economy and when she is unproven, to make her novel as short and succinct as possible. But I have a lot more to say that could fit inside 90,000 words!
The first Loose Rabbit ended up in the novel. I wanted to write how a human becomes a Cow and what it is like for the Rakum as well. I chose to write about how Javier met Simon. I wrote the scene outside the novel thinking that I would post it on my web site after the book came out, and people could then learn some backstory of this curious duo. Then, as I worked on polishing the novel, this scene found a place inside.
Chapter 21 of RABBIT:CHASING BETH RIDER includes the entire Loose Rabbit (that is no longer loose, but captured, of course...). Now I couldn't go inserting backstory left and right after that, so I wrote them as they came to mind and have slowly leaked them onto the web site under the Loose Rabbits Tab...
So if you read the Loose Rabbits before you read the novel, my good friend Jen says that you will be intrigued beyond measure and be addicted before you get your hands on a full copy... So go for it! And if you read them after you read the novel, or during, they will bring another dimension and fullness to your appreciation of the characters in this wonderful novel.
Today the story behind Selene came to mind. Selene's name doesn't come up until Chapter 47, but she is such a powerful character that she makes a big impression from that chapter on. And I can leak a tiny secret here.... Selene will play a larger part in the Rabbit sequel (but you didn't hear it from me!!).
So ya'll go read those Loose Rabbits and leave me a comment on the web site or drop me an email if you like them. I have many more sitting here waiting to tickle your interest and entertain your curious minds. C-Ya my Rabbit pals!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome.