Sunday, February 3, 2019

HEY, WRITERS! I want to encourage you! a.k.a. Teaching for Writers Conferences

A novelist is a creator of worlds, and although this is a HUGELY IMPORTANT task, creating worlds doesn’t (usually) pay enough to cease creating and rest on your laurels. Never fear! Novelists can use their mad-creating-skills to help others. This brings us to the topic of teaching writing workshops at writers’ conferences.

One of best parts of my calling is being able to encourage writers. A long time ago, three BIG-TIME Christian writers encouraged me, and yes, I will drop their names. All three are NYT best-selling authors, and all three took time out of their schedules to speak to a brand-new author. 
Frank Peretti responded to me personally when my first novel came out and encouraged me to keep writing. Bill Myers did the same, communicating me with Facebook Private Messaging, to wish me success. The biggest boost of all came from author Eric Wilson (Fireproof) who dared to READ MY NOVEL when still in the early stages… AND HE GAVE ME A BLURB to use when it was ready to publish!








I mention these in connection with the thrill of accomplished authors teaching at writers’ conferences because THESE THREE AUTHORS ENCOURAGED ME WHEN I WAS JUST STARTING OUT. As soon as I had a few years under my belt, the LORD sent someone to ask me to teach a seminar for their writers’ conference. I praise the LORD that she did, because I have never looked back.
Every opportunity is a blessing and an honor, from small book clubs, small writing groups, to middle-size and larger full-fledged writing conferences, (so far) I have not had to turn any down. I have shown up for 7 people 2 hours away, and a hundred people just up the road. The quantity of ears isn’t important – it’s the chance to tell a writer, “YOUR BOOK IS IMPORTANT!” and “NO ONE CAN WRITE YOUR BOOK BUT YOU!”












The hard-working prize-winning poet and author, Rita Moritz of Pell City’s Writers Anonymous has asked me to teach at the MID-WINTERS WRITERS CONFERENCE six years running (2014-19) !!





The oft-published author Denise George and equally prolific writer Carolyn Tomlin hired me to teach 90-min sessions at their Boot Camp for Christian Writers, BEESON DIVINITY SCHOOL AT SAMFORD UNIVERSITY, 7 times!
I am excited to announce that Southern Christian Writer’s Conference has invited me to teach two workshops this year, so mark your calendar for June 7 & 8 – I want to see you in my class!
In closing, if you are a writer, attend conferences to learn! You may also one day, want to instruct a workshop. We need encouragement and we need to hear from those who have 1) been there and 2) found success.

Thank you to every conference organizer and book club scheduler that has ever asked me to visit. I look forward to my 2019 visits!
EXCITING NOVEL UPDATE:

My #1 Bestselling Christian Thriller/Vampire The Rabbit Saga series is hotter than ever with the Special 10th Anniversary Edition being released soon from Outskirts Press. A brand new edition to overtake and excite a new generation of readers. When Rabbit: Chasing Beth Rider first came out in 2009, she went to #1 within the first few months, garnering 100 5-star reviews. Book 2 came out, Rabbit Legacy, and almost immediately, I suffered a family change that caused me to stop writing for several years. In 2016, Book Three, Rabbit Redemption finally came out, and then Book Four, Anomaly followed in 2018. Now, Book Five, Conundrum wants to be born. Let's pray for her as she is completed! Thank you to all who are down the rabbit hole with me!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome.