Monday, March 15, 2010

TOUCHED BY A VAMPIRE Book review with BITE


BOOK REVIEW by author of vampire fiction, Ellen C Maze Rabbit: Chasing Beth Rider

I have just finished reading TOUCHED BY A VAMPIRE by Beth Felker Jones, a book that promises to examine the major themes of the TWILIGHT SAGA through a biblical lens. I must say that on the whole, the author has succeeded in this endeavor.

I read some reviews before I bought this book, pro and con, and had no idea which way I would go when I finally got to read it myself. It turns out that this was an easy read and I got a lot out of it. I feel like I need to tell you a secret though...what I liked best about this book is that Felker Jones succinctly and superbly provided detailed synopses of all four books in the TWILIGHT SAGA. This is a very special bonus for anyone who has not or cannot read the whole series. I mean, wow, thanks Beth!

Felker Jones also provides plenty of biblical insight into the themes of family, love, marriage, sex, children, and relationship with God that parallel those in the Saga. In my humble opinion, I do not think that the author slams TWILIGHT at all, so if you avoid these kinds of study books because you think they might insult your favorite vampire series, don't worry. Felker Jones gives credit where credit is due and seems to be simply asking questions...asking you to consider if this certain theme goes with this certain biblical position. There are helpful summary questions at the end of each chapter that I think kids would enjoy answering if this book were read in a group study. I know I would!

TOUCHED BY A VAMPIRE is a 5-star book looking to speak to the lovers of TWILIGHT without pointing the finger of judgment anywhere but at ourselves when necessary. TWILIGHT fans rest easy - you can enjoy this book, study from it, learn from it AND be entertained by Edward and Bella. And I hope you will. This book makes TWILIGHT even better.

Ellen C Maze, author Rabbit: Chasing Beth Rider
Vampire fiction like none other

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome.