Wednesday, January 27, 2010

BAD, BAD, BAD, BAD Boys... so fun to write!


(blogger does not claim ownership of photos)

Rabbit: Chasing Beth Rider FICTION/Fantasy/Paranormal Nov.2009
ON SALE NOW all over the place. OR Click the bookcover to the right to purchase or to learn more!

Let’s talk a little about antagonists.

When Rabbit was in the forming stages, I had a bad guy all picked out. His name was Jack Dawn. He was a bloodsucking Rakum, he hated Beth Rider (the innocent righteous character) and he was out to destroy her. But along the way…another evil head was raised up. And although ugly inside, this devil was beautiful to behold, which made him oh-so-fun to write. Mwuhahaahahaha!

So let me tell you how Beryl’s identical twin Meryl was born into this story.

During the course of writing, I needed Beryl to be in two places at one time. Beryl is a beautiful, angelic-looking Rakum (vampire-like race from the novel) with a very black irredeemable soul. He preys on the weaklings and serves his evil and cruel Elder Jack Dawn with total obedience and subservience. So one day, as I was tweaking the story, tightening it up for an eventual end...I realized that I needed Beryl to accost Javier’s human friend Simon to keep the story tense. But Beryl was busy with Jack. To solve the problem, I gave Beryl an identical twin and named him Meryl. This apparent split-second decision was everything but—it turns out that Meryl was in the story all along! But as the silly 'hand' that types the words, I just didn't know it yet.

As soon as I put Meryl's 1st scene in, he went right to work. He grew in every scene and added depth and meaning to his brother Beryl that I could never have gotten on my own. And the Twins grew into such important characters that in Rabbit: Legacy, the sequel, they will play a major role.

Wow. When you meet Meryl, you will love to hate to love to hate him. If you want to see what mean old Meryl did to poor abandoned Simon, read this older post where 'ellen was leaking' chapters. You can meet Meryl and see what he and his twin are capable of.

This gorgeous creature (Indian actor Roshan Hrithik) is in the photograph provided for today's post. Oh my. The devil often poses as an angel of light, and that describes Meryl and Beryl to a T...

1 comment:

  1. Don't you just love it when characters create themselves?

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcome.